Paperwork for South Korea: 7 things you’ll need to teach English

If you’re thinking about moving to South Korea to teach English as a second language, you should probably get the ball rolling on all the paperwork. It took me a lot longer than I originally anticipated, which worked out okay for me but you might not have that luxury.

So here are the seven main things you’ll need before you can teach in South Korea:

  1. Resume package
  2. Apostilled FBI background check
  3. Passport
  4. Bachelor’s┬ádegree (any major) and apostilled photocopy
  5. Work contract
  6. E2 visa for South Korea
  7. Plane ticket

These are all for the USA as of 2011, so like I said before, double check to make sure. If you’re from Canada or New Zealand or something, you’ll need slightly different paperwork.

I’ll write a detailed post about each of the steps here, though, so you’ll know the process. That’s the tricky part, and for whatever reason, it’s hard to find step by step info online about how to do it. I’ll try to fill that gap by piecing it all together.