Not all cheese is Swiss

When I picture cheese, I think of a block with a bunch of holes in it.

Most of the cheese I actually eat doesn’t have holes in it. Most of the time it’s melted or shredded or sliced, but even if it was still a block, it’s probably not the kind with holes in it.

But the kind with holes is easier to identify, so it’s become the brand – like the spokesperson – for cheese.

I remember seeing a teenage girl put together a video explaining how this works for homeschoolers. She drew a circle like a pie graph on a white piece of paper. Let’s say 85% of the pie represents the homeschoolers that blend into society just fine. It’s the remaining 15% minority who stand out. She colored that smaller wedge blue.

Then she took a red crayon and colored over not only the 85% majority but also the rest of the paper outside the circle that wasn’t blue.

I like that representation because it illustrated how the minority can end up looking like the majority to everyone outside the circle.

This happens all the time. And not just with cheese or homeschoolers. You have to dig into it to discover the truth. Otherwise, whatever’s most recognizable will represent the group, whether it’s the majority or not.

|