Categories for life planning
I’ve been thinking about life categories lately. I don’t think life actually has categories. We only have now, and it all overlaps. Still, I think it’s useful to think in categories sometimes. So here are a couple lists I’ve seen lately.
- Things you dream of having (e.g. speed boat, castle in England, etc.)
- Things you dream of being (e.g. fluent in Chinese, fantastic cook, etc.)
- Things you dream of doing (e.g. traveling in Japan, sky diving, etc.)
- Living environment
- Friends & Family
- Financial (Earning)
- Financial (Saving)
- Financial (Giving)
The “Wheel of Life“:
- Home / Physical environment
- Partner / Love / Relationship
- Health / Fitness
- Growth / Learning
- Career / Business / Work
- Money / Finance
- Family / Friends / Social relationships
Obviously there’s overlap even between these. That’s to be expected. Also, some of the categories are more specific than others. I like that because they give me different perspectives. I’m sure there are more categories, and I’m still interested in seeing what else can be added.
For now, though, these are the ones I’ve used to plan (and continue to plan) for 2010.